As a fan of both metaphor and word play, our new year begins rich with possibility. I mean who needs a resolution when the year itself is an invitation to something better, to see things more clearly than maybe I have in the past, to look more closely, to observe what’s obvious, and to fix my eyes on both what's near and what’s far away (all while not being blinded by the forest or the trees). Yes, I am mixing sight/vision metaphors all over the place, but no apologies: it's going to be that kind of blog post. (Now see here, you wouldn't hit a guy with glasses, would you?)
So the invitation on the top of the
calendar is for me to see things as they are, keep things in perspective, and
look for clarity for myself and to bring clarity to others. 2020 is an invitation
for me to a year of 20/20 vision.
In my line of 20/20 vision, I am focused
on the following:
- I have learned so much about trauma in the past two years, and then again over the last six months. So much, in fact, that I know my learning is just beginning. I am learning that once one starts to view human behavior through the lens of trauma, behavior that didn’t make sense in the past makes sense now. I need to keep my eye on trauma and how it can inform my work and my relationships. I have learned that so far I’ve only seen the tip of the iceberg, and 20/20 in 2020 means looking as far below the surface as I can. There is more to see, to learn, and to put into action.
- Our national politics is frightening, and 20/20 in 2020 means I need to keep watch on what’s happening locally, regionally, nationally, globally. As a Holocaust educator I have had the good fortune to attend Jewish religious ceremonies and visit Jewish cultural institutions in Michigan communities and outside of Michigan. The rise in antisemitism and antisemitic violence fits in historic patterns I recognize as a Holocaust educator perhaps more quickly than others would, and I need to both keep watch and to be ready to act. I can’t be apolitical this year, and I have to look out for opportunities to help others see what they otherwise wouldn’t.
- In 2019 I wrote a piece for this blog called "Hello Brother". Our national politics is frightening for other reasons beyond the rise in antisemitism. There is an increase in ignorance and prejudice and fear, and they walk hand in hand in hand (in the words of Neil Peart); one antidote to all three is to see the humanity in anyone and everyone we encounter. In that blog post I wrote about an activity I participated in on how we see others. I need to continue to see myself in others, and to see others as brothers and sisters.
- As writer Donald Murray said writing is like driving at night: you can only see as far as the headlights shine, but you can make the whole trip that way. I need to see as far as my headlights shine. I have writing to do this year, and 20/20 in 2020 means participating in the second sight that writers have when they make time for writing. I have some professional writing to finish up, but I have personal writing that waits for only me to come along and make the drive.
- In the past year I have had the opportunity to create pieces with my two oldest kids. I have been able to get out to write with Emma, and that has been so rewarding. She is a lovely writer, and she now owns her own voice and puts her own stuff out there in the world, including her own blog. She will continue to grow and deepen her craft as she writes, but she's already way past where I was as a 21-year old writer. Tucker and I have collaborated on a few digital stories for Paw Paw Public Schools, and I am really enjoying that work. He's talented as an audio/video editor, and my work in digital story looks so much better with his ability to produce and polish a finished product, like this example on the Paw Paw homepage. Look forward to more of that work in 2020, and for the work to evolve into new opportunities. Talk about tip of the iceberg...!
- 20/20 in 2020 means I am ready to see somebody romantically. I want to see more of my wife. We’ve both been so busy the last few years with work that we haven’t let ourselves see each other outside of the daily grind as much as we should. I really enjoy her company and seeing her on a date is as fun and exciting as it ever was. I need to see more of that woman, for my own good, (and perhaps also for hers).
- And finally, 20/20 in 2020 means being able to see less of myself. In the mirror. I am off to a good start, but if I watch my health a little more closely, I won’t have to watch my health a little more closely.

No comments:
Post a Comment