Ya Got Trouble, My Friend, Right Here in River City
I knew we were in trouble in the months leading up to the
2000 Presidential election when I drove past a new billboard put up at the
intersection of two Michigan highways just south of town. The billboard read IN GOD WE
TRUST: BUSH/CHENEY 2000, and the word WE was
underlined, just as it is in this paragraph. I didn’t know how we were in
trouble then, or how much, or how bad things would get over the next 20 years,
but I uttered “uh-oh” as I drove by that day.
Religion used as a political wedge signals to people that their
vote during those elections (and since) wasn’t about politics but instead was
about much deeper core issues of identity and doctrine. An appeal to faith does
not appeal to reason, to data, or to policy. Faith is an exercise of belief,
rooted in identity, and for many it provides unshakeable answers where there is
no earthly proof. Human history is full of countless, terrible, bloody events
that took place all over the globe when people were motivated to protect and
advance the faith, sometimes this faith, sometimes that one, and while the
United States has plenty of its own examples of those terrible events, it also
enshrined into its founding document the idea that there would be a separation
of Church and State, a vital protection for both Church and State and the
people who belong to both. These billboards and their messages of choosing
sides threatened that separation, that protection.
Now Friends, Let Me Tell You What I Mean
![]() |
Back in my small town the impact was
just as divisive and dangerous, but wrapped in comfortable ritual and people we
knew well, like at the annual Memorial Day parade and ceremony held downtown at
the memorial dedicated to local soldiers killed in foreign wars. It’s the
biggest annual event in a town of 850, where each year several hundred come to
the city park to listen to the high school band, prayers, the Mayor, a keynote
speaker, a rifle salute, a song tribute, and finally Taps, played on trumpet by
a player from the school band to end the ceremony in a tribute that’s always
moving, no matter the skill of the kid on the horn.
In recent years at the ceremony the language of the prayers has blended more and more into the language of patriotism, and it has been hard to separate when the pastor is talking about the sacrifice of the military dead laying down their lives for us, and when he’s referring to the sacrifice of Jesus on the cross at Calvary; indeed, the suggestion and more and more the appeal is one and the same: the Cross
I suspect it was hard for some to read the words "I detest and utterly reject the Christ" because it was hard for me to write them. But it's come to that. I cannot follow that Christ and I cannot think of any who do as anything but fools or worse. The expected return on that position is the "well-what-about" ism that is the plague of honest reckoning. I understand there are non-negotiable issues of faith for some, such as those who are pure in their pro-life position. I get it. But I'm not really talking to those folks. I'm talking to the ones who are pro-life the same way they the are pro trickle-down economics: because it's an advantageous political stance and not really anything more. Both Church and State are big enough to handle honest differences in theology or philosophy, but we have to be smart enough to tell the difference when it's the wolf wrapped in sheep's clothing.
Friends, the Idle Brain is the Devil’s Playground
![]() |
On January 6 the trouble I felt was coming our way back in
2000 finally arrived in its full ugliness when armed insurrectionists stormed
the United States Capital to attempt to overthrow a free and fair election,
leading to the immediate deaths of five people (and two more police suicides to
follow), that had Americans (in the name of patriotic servitude to a demagogue)
beating police officers to permanent disfigurement, even death, that installed
a noose and gallows outside the building where hundreds searched inside for
government officials to apprehend and perhaps assassinate.
It was the end of a story arc that began 20 years ago with the insistence that there is a patriotic Christian WE in this country that does not question the story it has been told, that carries out its duty without question, reason, or critical thought, that would choose violence against other humans and the foundational texts and principles of both faith and country in the service of a strong man demagogue. January 6 was not the end result of the November, 2020 election: forces in this country spent the last 20 years creating and fortifying a division that made January 6 possible.
Heed that Warning Before It’s Too Late
When I am confused about where to go next, I often find my mind searching backwards, not ahead. The answer about where to go next is often most clearly outlined in the lessons of the past. In this case, I am thinking about my personal past and the lessons about God and country I learned from my grandmother. She was dedicated to both, a servant of both—working the polls each election day all of my life, and serving Communion on the altar at mass as Eucharistic Minister. But she kept them separated, twin pillars deeply rooted at her foundation. It was a joke in my family between my brothers and I about which party grandma belonged to. My Republican brother was sure Grandma was Republican based on her strong Catholic faith; after all, Catholics like my Grandmother were strictly Pro-Life. My Democrat brother was sure Grandma was a Democrat, also based on her strong Catholic faith; after all, Catholics like my Grandmother were dedicated to feeding the hungry and tending to the sick and the poor. But Grandma wouldn’t tell us. It was her private business who she voted for (she insisted), and for years she resisted any effort to reduce either her faith or her politics down to the pettiness of our bickering, good natured as it was.
My grandma knew something and taught me something worth
remembering, and I suspect it’s a lesson forgotten in too many other American
homes. The United States of America is made stronger when there is separation
of Church and State, when good people of all religions feel safe to pursue
life, liberty, and happiness without faith as a marker of being a WE or an OTHER. And faith is made stronger when the foundations of
that faith aren’t shaped into political messaging, manipulated and contorted
into political propaganda that serves a political party, power, message, or
man.
At the intersection just south of town there are new
billboards. They change all the time. And I still drive through the
intersection every day on my way to work on my way home. Recently the billboard
was a PSA for good parenting. Before that it was an advertisement for tax
services from H&R Block. Life goes on. It will. But it’s also true that our
next 20-year track is underway, and we begin 2021 and the next twenty years
having had an armed insurrection storm the US Capital and a deadly clash
between police officers and Americans who would overturn a free and fair
election. Where do we go from here? The past tells us clearly that more danger
is ahead, unless we learn from it, unless we think about it and indeed ask Why,
and unless we underline the ONE NATION
part of our pledge, letting the UNDER GOD part be separated again as intended,
where separate matters of Church and State are freedoms, not divisions that
undermine both.








No comments:
Post a Comment