A
few weeks ago I was discussing The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn with
my tenth grade students as we finished our reading of the famous Civil War era
novel. The novel was written at an important point in American history, and we
were discussing America as the students understood it, both as it was in the
mid-1800’s, and as it is now.
I
asked students to help me brainstorm a list of associations and phrases they
have about our country, and was not ready for what came when they started
sharing ideas. I was expecting things like “Land of the Free and Home of the
Brave,” or “City on a Hill,” or “The Great Melting Pot”, ideas I held as a
tenth grader and that still hold true for me today. The 1980's was a different
time in our country’s past, but I didn’t know it was so distant: what came
forth from the students was like a punch in the gut.
“Greedy,”
the first student said. Then other hands went up, and greedy was followed by
words like “arrogant,” “fat and lazy,” and “always at war.” It was eight or
nine students before the first one said something positive, which was “Freedom
of Choice.” I was shocked and stunned by the word list. I usually know what to
expect from my students, but I did not know these young adults would have more
negative associations than positive ones for our country. How could a student
think of our country as being “always at war”? We are a great and generous
nation. We love peace and justice. What’s going on here?
And
then it occurred to me. For a fifteen-year-old student, America has been at war
for more than half that student’s life, and certainly since that student has
been able to read a newspaper or share current events in a social studies
class. For fifteen year olds, it might as well be always and forever
(seriously, talk to them about their love lives!). These students are growing
up at a time when America is staring its identity in the face, and is almost
evenly split down the middle with people who think we should go in one
direction, and people who think we should go in another. It makes me think of
the time that our novel was set, when deep disagreement led our country to
Civil War.
So
after the Presidential Inauguration last week I shared poetry about our country
with students, including the four poems written to mark the inauguration of a
president, and each of these poems was full of the language that appeals to the
best of us as citizens, and the high ideals of our country. We had great
discussion about them, including focusing on why those who’ve come before us
have given us (through great sacrifice) the great gifts of freedom and democracy,
and how it’s now our turn to hold the torch and pass it on.
I
asked the students to pick out a line from one of these poems and share why
they think the message is important. With his permission, I want to share part
of what one of my students wrote, a great 10th grade writer and
thinker named Nick Kline: the next generation’s
vision of what America should be will become the foundations of what we will
be. "If we can take a child's view of what America is, then we can give our
children a place to be proud of. We can’t "visit" (the future)
because we haven’t made it yet. (But) if we can remember all the great things
about America, then that knowledge will be passed down from generation to
generation."
A child’s view of America is our destiny. With students like
Nick I have great hope for our future, but as adults we are the ones who inform
them about what America has been, what it is, and how, despite our
disagreements, what Nick called “the foundation” of what we must be. Pass it
along. If we leave our definition of America to others, especially those who
don’t understand or disagree with our core values, what our children come to
understand may hit us back someday like a punch in the gut.
Note: This blog post is from a series originally published as personal essays written for the Van Buren County Advertiser from 2008-2014 by Corey Harbaugh under the title It's All Good. The It's All Good columns were written to feature and celebrate life in and around Gobles, Michigan.
No comments:
Post a Comment