I remember one holiday
weekend when I was about ten my dad giving my brothers and I a full slate of
chores to do around the yard and house. It wasn't that we didn't normally have
chores, we did, but this was an unusually high amount of work to do. Finally, I
asked him why I couldn't go off and just ride my bike or throw the football
around or something.
"It's Labor Day,"
he told me. "Labor means work. You're supposed to work hard on Labor
Day."
"Well that's a lousy
holiday," I told him, as I shuffled miserably back to my chores.
That story makes me laugh
now as I think about it, but like many of you, I grew up not really
understanding why Labor Day is recognized as a holiday in this country. But in
the spirit of Labor Day I've been thinking about it, and have come to believe
it's time we appreciate it for what it is.
Labor Day was established
by the US government as a gesture towards American trade and labor organizations
in 1894 after a crippling strike by Chicago railroad workers turned into a
violent confrontation with the military. It was established in September to be
set apart from May 1 labor demonstrations which are recognized all over the
world, and often linked to the influence of Marxism on the world. I saw a May 1
labor demonstration in Paris in 1990, and couldn't believe the volume of men
and women marching through a major world city holding placards and protest
signs. There were speeches made all day, all over the city, about labor and
benefits and quality of life, and despite the loud voices and cheering in the
streets, it was a very peaceful day in Paris, and an eye-opener for me. It was
much different than the American Labor Day tradition since 1909 which is
politically low key, and typically a day of rest and festival for workers and
their families.
Right now so many of us
here locally, across Michigan, and in our country, are without work, or
employed in jobs below the expertise they have as workers or below the pay
grade that they need to live without stress, or face everyday uncertainty about
how long the job they do have will be around before the small business closes
or the factory ships the jobs elsewhere. It is a very stressful time in
American labor. In fact, labor, employment, might be the most important need
our country has right now.
So it might be time to
revisit the spirit of Labor Day. Not in the "demonstrate" tradition
of it, but in the "time to work hard" tradition my dad gave to me
about thirty years ago. When I got my first job at fifteen slinging tacos at Taco
John's in Niles, my grandpa pulled me aside for a serious talk. My grandpa
owned his own plumbing business in Niles which he began after the Great
Depression and had to build from the ground up from his own blood, sweat, and
tears. He told me that the person who owned Taco John's was putting his life's
work in my hands, and it was my responsibility to do my best, every day, to
honor that person's sacrifices, and the trust he put in me. "Work hard for
the owner", my grandpa told me. "It's your responsibility."
There are so many workers
out there who need that lecture from my grandpa, especially young people. There
are so many who don't put in an honest day's work, but expect to get paid for
it. And there are so many who feel like the hard work is beneath them: they
don't want to labor or clean or do the dirty work, so they leave it for
somebody else to do. So many young people think they're going to graduate high
school and live on their own, drive a new car, have all the toys, etc., but
forget that kind of economic freedom comes at a price, and somebody has to pay
it.
I believe our local area
will turn around, that Michigan will turn around, and that our country will
turn around, but I don't believe it won't come without hard work. I believe I
will contribute to that turn around by doing my job as hard and well as I can
to educate kids, and that you will contribute to it by doing your job as hard
and as well as you can. If we can get everybody doing that, from the guy who
digs the ditches, to the woman that designs the buildings, to the kid slinging
tacos for minimum wage, we'll pull ourselves out of it. America has always been
an ingenious country. We have to be a hard-working one, too. All of us.
Recently my father-in-law
told my twelve-year old son a story about work ethic. He told my son that after
work every day, when he looks in the mirror, he maybe could have fooled his
co-workers about his effort that day, and maybe he could have fooled the boss,
but when he looks in his own eyes he can't fool himself, and he never wants to
look himself in the eye and know he didn't work hard that day. That's how he
was raised. So now my son's grandpa, like my grandpa, passed on an important
message which can become a great life lesson.
Note: This blog post is from a series originally published as personal essays written for the Van Buren County Advertiser from 2008-2014 by Corey Harbaugh under the title It's All Good. The It's All Good columns were written to feature and celebrate life in and around Gobles, Michigan.
No comments:
Post a Comment